Hi all, just a quick note to let you know that the books pages of the current issue of The Big Issue – the independent Australian magazine sold by friendly vendors all over the place (and hopefully near you) – are guest edited by yours truly.
Coinciding with Book Week this week, there is a heavy focus on children’s and Young Adult literature in the issue including:
* An interview with Patrick Ness, author of A Monster Calls and the Chaos Walking series
* A column by Melina Marchetta on YA subject matter, gatekeepers and that WSJ article
* Lili Wikinson reviews Karen Healy’s YA novel The Shattering
* Holly Harper reviews this year’s highly-paid middle fiction novel The Emerald Atlas
* I review Mandy Ord’s collection of graphic stories Sensitive Creatures
* And I talk up Book Week and lament the fact it’s not a bigger media event in Australia
I think it’s awesome that The Big Issue gives over so many of its pages to kids’ and YA books during Book Week, so do grab a copy (with poor old Amy on the front cover) if you see one when you’re out and about this week.